From ARAMARK Executive Chef Chris Zimmerman
BEEF SHORT RIB SLIDER WITH APPLE AND JALAPENO SLAW
3 boneless beef short ribs
1 sweet onion, 1 carrot, 1 rib of celery, 1 clove garlic
½ cup of flour seasoned with salt and pepper
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup red wine
2 cups beef broth
- Preset oven to 325
- Place a Dutch on your stove, turn heat to high.
- Add oil.
- Dredge short ribs in seasoned flour, shake off access.
- When oil is hot, gently
place short rib in oil, brown all sides.
- Remove short rib, add rough cut
vegetables and clove of garlic.
- Stir until slightly caramelized.
- Add ½ cup red
wine (merlot will work)
- Deglaze Dutch oven, getting all the brown goodies off the
bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat
- Add short ribs.
- Add 2 cups beef broth.
- Place Dutch oven with lid in pre-set 325 oven.
- Bake for 3 hours or until fork
- When slightly cooled shred meat.
FOR THE APPLE JALAPENO SLAW
3 Fuji apples
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
½ a bunch chopped cilantro
2 tbsp granulated sugar
A dash of salt and pepper
- In a bowl add mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, cilantro, salt and
pepper whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Peel apples julienne into thin strips not getting any seeds
involved and add to bowl.
- Cut stem of jalapeno, cut in half lengthwise and discard all
seeds, dice jalapeno, and add to bowl.
- Mix to incorporate all ingredients.
TIME TO ASSEMBLE
Place shredded short rib (to reheat place in hot sauté pan)
on slider bun and top with slaw. Bon apetit!